Do you know how many pets in the United States are in shelters? Here are some statistics about our nation’s shelters (source: ASPCA):
· Approximately 7.6 million companion animals enter animal shelters nationwide every year. Of those, approximately 3.9 million are dogs and 3.4 million are cats.
· Each year, approximately 2.7 million animals are euthanized (1.2 million dogs and 1.4 million cats).
· Approximately 2.7 million shelter animals are adopted each year (1.4 million dogs and 1.3 million cats).
· About 649,000 animals who enter shelters as strays are returned to their owners. Of those, 542,000 are dogs and only 100,000 are cats.
· Of the dogs entering shelters, approximately 35% are adopted, 31% are euthanized and 26% of dogs who came in as strays are returned to their owner.
· Of the cats entering shelters, approximately 37% are adopted, 41% are euthanized, and less than 5% of cats who came in as strays are returned to their owners.
· About twice as many animals enter shelters as strays compared to the number that are relinquished by their owners.
Animal shelters rely on the funds from the community to take care of the dogs, cats and other animals that find themselves homeless. Coming up with new ideas to raise funds is not an easy task and one of the goals of this blog is to provide ideas to help shelters raise money for the animals in their care.
Money goes along way, but so do items – many shelters have “Wish Lists” with the items they are in need of. This week, in honor of Adopt A Shelter Pet Day, I would like to ask EVERYONE that reads this blog to donate one of the following items to an animal shelter in their community. Thanks for caring and sharing!
Dog or Cat Snacks
Blankets or towels
Dog or Cat Food