Its National Pet Week! A whole week to celebrate pets and the joy they bring to our lives.
Our country loves to celebrate national holidays, so this week, I am suggesting a great fundraiser that follows a tradition every small town and big city involves in national holiday celebrations – a Penny Parade!
What is a Penny Parade you ask? A great community event that shelters can use as a fundraiser. The idea is to hold a traditional parade and everyone watching the parade is asked to bring their pennies to donate to the shelter. Here’s how it works:
- Choose and promote your Penny Pet Parade date and time throughout the community by posting flyers in store fronts, involving the media, and working with local businesses, schools and other community groups.
- Ask local businesses to sponsor floats, tee-shirts or other items in exchange for naming rights or inclusion on all printed materials and advertising.
- Then, spread the word to pet owners-ask people and their pets to get dressed up and decked out for a “Penny Parade”.
- Once all of your parade entertainment is in place, organize your groups and logistically plan the parade route (this will most likely be done with local authorities). Be sure to have a spot in the parade line up for all pets and owners that want to walk in the parade procession.
- Be sure to have plenty of volunteers and staff ready to act as “Penny” people! These will be the folks that will carry donation buckets along the parade route and collect the pennies you have asked everyone to bring.
- Be sure to toss candy to the crowd, and collect your pennies from all the spectators. You just may be surprised at the “pennies” from Heaven that just may rain down on your parade!